I’d love all of our 160 members to shout yes. In looking at the numbers, 2016 was a great year. Here are some highlights:
- Nearly 50% increase in our membership;
- Ran twice as many beginner and intermediate classes along with special, small-group clinics that enabled nearly 40 women to improve their game;
- Our Monday league was moved to the summer (instead of our traditional spring and fall league) to accommodate the election season and that was a hit with nearly 80 women signed up and a core group who played all 8 weeks;
- Our weekend outings to different courses in the region were well-attended, particularly the private Naval Academy Golf Club in Annapolis;
- For the first time in recent years, we had enough interest to plan a weekend golf trip; this year, 13 women went to Bryce Resort in Shenandoah Valley in the fall;
- We continued to support women’s golf by sponsoring the annual GolfDC’s Women’s Golf Reception and We Are Golf’s Hill reception;
- We worked closely with Executive Women’s Golf Association of DC to support the First Tee of Washington, DC’s Girls Golf Program through play days and donating nearly $1,500 to the charity.
However, numbers don’t tell the full story. Women join WCGA for different reasons but we hope you met women in your field and made a work contact, or just improved your game in a welcoming environment.
But, we can always do more. I know several women who join WCGA and work and life prevents them from participating. I’d love to know if we can schedule events differently to work for your schedule, such as sunrise golf or shorter, three-hole outings to fit in an hour?
Please send suggestions to President@wcga.org so we can start planning 2017 and start spreading the word about WCGA to friends and colleagues. Women who join now are automatically members for 2017.
Thanks again for a wonderful golf season!